Each of us has the power to make a meaningful difference in the lives of neglected and abused animals. By reporting cases of suspected or known animal cruelty you are offering defenseless animals protection and a second chance. You may also be helping other current and future victims.

To reduce all forms of cruelty and encourage a more compassionate society we ask each of you to be alert to all forms of neglect and violence. This section provides the information you need to become familiar with common signs of abuse, distress and how to report cruelty.

Reporting Animal Cruelty

The Ontario SPCA investigators provide frontline protection for animals across Ontario by responding to nearly 16,000 animal cruelty complaints each year and rescuing injured, abandoned and abused animals. Empowered by the Ontario SPCA Act, Inspectors and Agents relieve animal suffering and distress by issuing orders, removing animals and laying charges under the Criminal Code of Canada and the Ontario SPCA Act where circumstances warrant. Under the Act, Inspectors and Agents have the same authority as police officers when enforcing animal-cruelty laws.

The Ontario SPCA operates on a complaints basis. This means that you can help animals by being aware of at-risk animals in your community and by reporting cases of suspected animal cruelty to your nearest Ontario SPCA Community, police, Crime Stoppers or police.

If you suspect animal abuse, please contact the Ontario OSPCA at 310-SPCA (7722).

For more information on animal cruelty, please visit

Who to call if you suspect Cruelty?

Ontario Farm Animal Care Helpline Services

Contact the Ontario Farm Animal Care Helpline to assist farmers who are unwilling or unable to maintain acceptable conditions for their farm animals (or if you are a farmer experiencing difficulties) and concerns will be relayed to the appropriate group. P: 519-837-1326.


Illegal Slaughter Hotline

If you have any information regarding meat-processing activities which you think may be illegal, please contact the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture and Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA) 1-888-466-2372,



If you have any information regarding concerns for wildlife, please contact the Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) 1-877-847-7667,


Food Production and Humane Transport

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency plays an important role in providing protection for animals used in food production (CFIA).
Contact 1-800-442-2342 or


Public Health

Contact 647-260-7100,


Dog Owners Liability Act (DOLA)

Contact your local municipality.